We are looking for a Senior Energy Analyst for our Boulder, CO or Oakland, CA office. We'd like someone who brings industry experience, a fresh perspective and a desire to make a big impact. The ideal candidate has a strong background in the energy industry, economics, finance or engineering and exhibits high levels of leadership and professionalism.
This position will help Ascend Analytics bring energy analytics to support energy decision analysis in resource planning, renewable generation, energy storage, energy risk management software to electric utilities and other energy industry clients. We're looking for talented individuals with a serious commitment to energy analytics, software, empirical modeling, financial engineering and portfolio management.
Job Responsibilities and Essential Functions
- Perform quantitative analysis and work collaboratively
- Devise new approaches to represent results that provide support for decision analysis
- Assimilate complex information into readily understood reports and presentations
- Perform in-depth analysis of power market operations
- Provide clients with expertise in the areas of analytic modeling for risk management, asset valuation, resource planning, and renewable integration
- Solve complex analytic problems to make mission critical decisions for energy supply.
- Apply “best business practices” and standards for energy risk management and relate them to the Ascend software solution.
- Write documentation, specify software functionality and develop training videos.
- Serve as a technical resource for scoping, building, deploying, and launch activities.
- Provide clients with on-site and web-based software training.
- Devise new approaches to represent results that provide real-time support for decision analysis.
Skills and Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills, teamwork skills and work ethic
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple assignments and problem solve with minimum supervision
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated track record of working with clients and team
- Knowledge of structured programming
- Proficiency with analytic software programming (SAS, R, Python or other languages)
- Familiarity with database programs (SQL, Oracle)
Education and Experience
- 3-5 years Energy industry experience, including knowledge of deregulated power market operations
- Financial engineering background, including knowledge of stochastic processes, Monte Carlo simulation, option pricing theory and numerical methods
- Software development experience
- Project management experience
- Must have a Master's or PhD; advanced degrees in finance, economics, engineering, and energy may be preferable
Negotiable based on qualifications and experience